Committed to the growth and well-being of children
These programs are committed to the growth and well-being of children from birth to eight years of age and to shaping teachers who understand the effect early experiences have on later development and learning. The programs will engage you in collaborative work that is interdisciplinary, multidisciplinary and inquiry-based.
WHY SHOULD I ENROLL IN ADELPHI’S EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS?
- You do not need to have been an education major or hold teacher certification in another area.
- Multiple master’s degree and advanced certificate tracks leading to New York State certification in early childhood education and/or students with disabilities, birth–grade 2
- Programs leading to New York State dual certification in early childhood education and students with disabilities
- Evening and weekend flexibility for part- or full-time students, according to your schedule
- Expert faculty members with strong practical experiences
- Small classes and personalized advisement
- Experience through fieldwork with varied and diverse populations
WHAT WILL I STUDY IN EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION?
In-class didactic experiences and activities, fieldwork placements and student teaching are all planned to increase candidate awareness and sensitivity to the development of children and to provide insight into the physical, social, emotional, cultural, intellectual and creative life of a child. In addition, differences of culture, language, ethnic background, gender and ability among children permeate every aspect of the curriculum.
» M.S. in Early Childhood Special Education, Single Certification – In-Service track
» M.S. in Early Childhood Special Education, Dual Certification – Pre-Service track
» M.S. in Early Childhood Special Education, Dual Certification – In-Service track
» Advanced Certificate in Early Childhood Special Education
• Gainful Employment Disclosure for Certificate in Early Childhood Special Education
» Advanced Certificate in Autism and Severe or Multiple Disabilities
• Gainful Employment Disclosure for Certificate in Autism and Severe or Multiple Disabilities
WHO ARE THE EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION FACULTY?
Dori Phalen, Clinical Assistant Professor and Program Director
Barbrina Ertle, Ed.D.
Lisa Minicozzi, Ed.D.
Elizabeth Oakes-Lani, Ed.D.
WHAT WILL IT COST?
Tuition in this program is $1,160 per credit. Programs range from 21 to 55 credits. University and technology fees are additional.
» Find specific tuition and financial aid details
HOW DO I APPLY TO ADELPHI’S EARLY CHILDHOOD SPECIAL EDUCATION PROGRAMS?
In addition to a completed application for graduate admission and application fee, applicants must submit:
- Documentation of bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Two letters of recommendation
- A personal essay (prompted on application)
- All official college transcripts
- Additional Requirement for the M.S. in Early Childhood Special Education, Dual Certification
- Results of Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
Note: New York State requires all teacher candidates to have specific undergraduate liberal arts and sciences content, which will be evaluated on application.
» Apply now to Adelphi’s Special Education programs