An integrated, theoretically grounded view of literacy.
The importance of the quality of the literacy specialist cannot be overemphasized. If you’re interested in helping children become proficient readers and writers, we offer a Master of Science in Literacy Education and an advanced certificate track leading to New York State certification in literacy, from birth–grade 6, grade 5–grade 12 or birth–grade 12.
…if you can read, you can learn anything about everything and everything about anything. –Tomie dePaolat
WHY SHOULD I ENROLL IN ADELPHI’S LITERACY EDUCATION PROGRAM?
- Evening courses give flexibility to working students, who may attend part or full time.
- Our faculty members are experts in their fields with strong practical experiences.
- Small classes and personalized advisement are offered.
- During practicum, you will gain valuable experience working with children at our Literacy Center.
WHAT WILL I STUDY IN LITERACY EDUCATION?
Our programs in literacy offer an integrated, theoretically grounded view that addresses the needs of students and teachers in diverse communities. We focus on preparing graduate candidates for their careers as classroom teachers, interventional literacy teachers, clinicians, supervisors and coordinators of literacy in school districts who can improve teaching and learning, and who can work with individual students at all levels.
M.S. in Literacy Programs
» Birth-Grade 12 M.S. in Literacy course requirements
» Birth-Grade 6 M.S. in Literacy. course requirements
» Grades 5-12 M.S. in Literacy course requirements
Advanced Certificate in Literacy Programs
» Birth-Grade 6 Advanced Certificate course requirements
• Gainful Employment Disclosure for Certificate in Literacy Birth-Grade 6 (in-service)
» Birth-Grade 12 Advanced Certificate course requirements
• Gainful Employment Disclosure for Certificate in Literacy Birth-6 & Grades 5-12 (in-service)
» Grades 5-12 Advanced Certificate course requirements
• Gainful Employment Disclosure for Certificate Literacy Grades 5-12 (in-service)
WHO ARE THE LITERACY EDUCATION FACULTY MEMBERS?
Evelyn O’Connor, Ph.D., Program Director
Judith Cohen, J.D., Ph.D.
Lori Wolf, Ph.D.
WHAT WILL IT COST?
Tuition in this program is $1,160 per credit. Programs range from 18–42 credits. University and technology fees are additional.
» Find specific tuition and financial aid details
HOW DO I APPLY?
In addition to a completed application for graduate admission and application fee, applicants must submit:
- Documentation of bachelor’s degree with minimum 3.0 GPA
- Documentation of master’s degree with minimum of 3.0 GPA for advanced certificate track
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay (prompt listed on application)
- All official college transcripts
Note: New York State requires that all teacher candidates hold a valid New York State teacher certification for acceptance into the literacy education program.
» Apply now to Adelphi’s Literacy Education programs